Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Minecraft Missions and Fort Assignment

I learned about Minecraft this year from my 4th and 5th grade combo students, in my BYOD 1:1 iPad classroom. The first time I thought there was an academic application for it in the classroom, was when a girl shared her "Science World" with the class. She had taken all of her science vocabulary from the week, and made a Minecraft world using those words. There was a block shaped bee sitting on a block shaped flower, with a sign defining pollination. Then we traveled through structures seeing other definitions and building representations of those words.
I was floored.
Now an assignment has been formulated using Minecraft for making CA mission replicas (4th grade assignment) and Spanish forts (5th grade assignment). I see the partial results and am amazed by the innovative creations so far!
I can't wait until next week to see the results!


No comments:

Post a Comment