Monday, August 26, 2013

Recycling for Charity Challenge Based Learning Project

An engaging and meaningful project idea came to me, like a light bulb in my head.
It was after watching a teacher from India speak at a computer conference. Her project each year is for her affluent high school business students to plan and implement a bazaar where they buy and sell goods. The profit is then turned over for the education of under-privileged children in India and for technology for those students's classrooms. Fantastic!
My idea is to do a recycling for charity project with my class this year. Students can collect cans, bottles, and once a week take those to the recycling center. The money collected each week from recycling can be tallied, saved, and donated to the charity group (I have one in mind!)
A group of students can go with me to deliver wish list items to a needy family in the local area.
In Science we study recycling, and I thought tying this concept in with doing something nice for others might be...nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment