Friday, March 29, 2013

CUE conference

I went to the Cue conference in Palm Springs, CA, in March this year. I went last year too.
CUE stands for Computer-Using Educators. Went with a group of teachers and principal.
Last year I was floored by the technology presented, mostly utilizing the iPad.

I already had an iPad.  I'd say I was the first teacher to have one at my school. I thought of taping myself teaching lessons, since I teach math all day, the same lesson over and over. I was thinking since I'm repeating myself, why not tape it!

So, this turned out really well. I became my own teaching assistant. I could show the videos daily (well, three times a day) and walk around the room checking for understanding as the video played.
Over time I've found that the routine of even this exciting tool (the iPad) for instruction, can lose its novelty.

This year at the CUE conference there was a teacher who talked about "cloning herself" by flipping the classroom.  The idea of being two people in the same room, really appeals to me. She talked about good teaching. Just because we might have access to these innovative tools, this does not replace good teaching.  I have found that as time goes on, I really have become an entertainer...as a 4th grade teacher! Students have been raised with these devices around them, and much audio-visual presentation.  They are used to that exciting display, so I've had to adapt to keep up with them.

The apps referenced this year for instructional use at the CUE conference were Educreations, Edmodo, iMovie, and Khan academy. These were the sessions I attended, anyway. The difference between last year and this year, for me personally, was my ability to make iMovies. That has improved!
Here is my view of the CUE. http://youtu.be/BE0JPMdWNGM

No comments:

Post a Comment