Friday, November 8, 2013

Minecraft and Other Apps Suggested by my Students

It's a beautiful thing to have a fourth grader plug her iPad into the projector and instruct the class about various apps she is suggesting.  I feel like I'm back at the CUE conference, taking notes about what she is saying!
The current super high interest app of my combo 4th and 5th graders in my all-iPad class, is Minecraft. Students are creating worlds(on their own time at home) incorporating science and social studies worlds, including vocabulary concepts learned in class. I am just blown away when a child asks to plug into the projector to share. I'm asked if I want this app (Minecraft) purchased for the school iPads. My first response is no, because the app appears to not be academic. However, my students are creating and presenting worlds that are academic.
In addition to Minecraft, there are other student suggested apps that I am thrilled to learn about. Here are some. We ran out of time today, sharing apps. "Can I go next? Can I go next?" is the cry I hear from my students wanting to share what they know!

No comments:

Post a Comment