Sunday, September 15, 2013

BYOD is cool!

BYOD is cool! I'm piloting an all iPad (4-5 Combo) classroom with BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) as an option. I studied all summer preparing myself to run such a program. I have various apps being utilized for all subjects. As much as I prepared, I couldn't know really what it would be like, until I was in it! It's awesome! Why? Because the device itself, the iPad, is so motivating to students.
I'm only three weeks in, but I can see there's no going back for me. I will always want to have an all iPad, all device, classroom.  If I can, I will; if they'll have me.
Some highlights so far have been:
1. Noteability app- Students define vocabulary for social studies and science, can highlight and annotate on their definitions, and can voice over, reading their own definitions to themselves, play back their recordings as a way to study for their weekly quizzes on those words!
2. Subtext app- I can use my library card to check out ebooks and push those out to student iPads. I use audio books in conjunction so that students listen to the recording as we are reading The Secret Garden, currently. So cool!
3. KidBlog- specifically using this to blog about science! Wonderful!
4. Edmodo- so far I'm using Edmodo to push out my lesson plans to students so they can click on links to my instruction lessons. I've created quizzes they are taking on Edmodo that are immediately graded for me. 
And that is just the start of it. I'm like Alice in Wonderland, peeking through the looking glass. This is a super cool place to be!

1 comment:

  1. You are doing an amazing job, Laura! I love your enthusiasm and all that you are doing to launch your classroom into the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete