Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dragon Dictation


One reason I'm starting a blog, is that at some point I'm going to have to write a book about teaching, parenting, interacting with and raising children.  I feel so lucky to truly love children. I always have!
When I was ten years old I started babysitting and I remember enjoying that so much. One of the first families I worked for, lived on our block and had four children.  There was a new baby all the way up to about age six. I got 50 cents an hour. I just loved the work!  
I can't say I always knew I'd be a teacher, but certainly it hasn't hurt, just enjoying what children say and do. 
I have some personal as well as professional stories about children and the blog is helping me get a feel for what public means, and how much to share. 
Last summer I took several graduate courses and in one of them on Inclusion, the professor told me I should write a book.  I had worked as a special Ed teacher through all of the stages of public laws in education since 1984, and had anecdotes to match the changes in law as the years went by.
I had personal stories as well, and experiences regarding inclusion even up until now, as a regular 4th grade teacher. Hard to believe now, that when I first started teaching my class was isolated in a portable and included for no regular Ed subjects!  Then there was a time in the early 90s when full inclusion for all, was the model.
Dragon Dictation is an app that I'm starting to utilize on my iPad, to start writing a book.  I tap on the screen, and my voice is recorded and the app types out what I've said.  I can read what I've said and make corrections as needed. I'm really appreciating this app!  Whether I use this method of recording to write a whole book or not, remains to be seen.  Right now though, this is the way!


2 comments:

  1. To set up Dragon Dictation, do you have to train it to get used to your voice? We have Dragon Naturally Speaking, and you have to read it quite a bit of provided material so it gets used to your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, this doesn't require that although it works best when I speak clearly. I can make corrections but the typing is pretty accurate!

    ReplyDelete