Monday, April 8, 2013

Someday Khan academy

Khan academy was a new discovery for me a year ago at the CUE conference. The teachers I work with and I came home so excited about utilizing the program with our students! Immediately I used the instructional videos in class for whole group instruction. However, beyond that, a year later I haven't been able to maneuver getting accounts for my under-aged (under age13)students.

When I went this year to CUE, a presentation was given by a fifth grade teacher who started using individual student accounts a year ago. The speaker, Paul Erickson, said the instructional videos are just the tip of the iceberg, and once accounts are used, students log on and perform tasks, move up levels, earn progress awards, and can work at their own pace to improve skills in mathematics.

With the implementation of the flipped classroom two weeks ago in my classroom, I can see how khanacademy could fit in very nicely to that concept idea. I've made my own instructional videos, and post them for students to watch at home, but with khanacademy having instructional videos included why couldn't that be part of the flipped classroom?

I'm working on a way of getting accounts, and/or continuing to do whole group lessons in class.

Besides the instructional videos being awesome on khanacademy, a really cool feature without having an account is the Vi Hart videos that combine math concepts with art.

No comments:

Post a Comment